top of page

8. Original School & Latter Day Saint Meeting House

Early in Circleville's history Charles A. Dalton donated 2 acres of land for a school & LDS Church Meeting House at 444 North 100 East.

This house was built by having each family in the valley furnish 3 logs and help with the labor. Thus, a low log house was provided for all community purposes.


After James E. Peterson became bishop again in 1903, he started plans for a new ward chapel. Latter-Day-Saint Church members had been meeting in school buildings and homes for some time and were anxious for a better place to meet. At the start of this project, they planned to build it out of stone, so they quarried and hauled a good supply of stone from the Kingston Canyon area to the building site. After determining the cost factors, they decided to build a wood framed structure instead. (This stone was later used to build the elementary school building.) The new church was completed in 1906 and located at 115 North Center St. James E. Peterson was Bishop with Joseph Simkins and James Ruby as counselors. Len Mills was bishop of the  Ward with Lewis Mullins and Brent Christensen as counselors.


The first school in the valley was a combined log church & school at 444 North 100 East. In 1880, the Utah Territorial legislature passed a bill providing public schools in the territory. Circleville had 2 elementary schools, one on each side of the Sevier River. There were two schools because there wasn't a good, safe way for students to cross the river. The school on the west side of the river was a one-room log cabin in the northeast part of the valley near the old Tommy Thomas ranch on. The school on the east side of the river was a one-room log cabin and was called the "Lost Creek School." This cabin later became the home of the Ephraim Day family. These two schools had classes to the eighth grade. Later a new frame building replaced the log cabin school and was painted blue. It was also used for church and social gatherings.


The school district purchased the stone that the church had hauled from Kingston Canyon to build a chapel. With this stone a new two storied elementary school building was constructed in 1902. The two schools on both sides of the river were closed, and those students came to the new building. This was possible because an adequate bridge had been built across the Sevier River. The new school had a belfry with a large bell that could be heard over most of the valley calling the children to school.


During the depression of the thirties, a new elementary school was constructed as a work project. The old rock building had no inside plumbing, except a wash basin and the rooms were heated by wood stoves. It was condemned as a fire hazard and was torn down. The rock from this building was used for the new school building. This school served students until 1967, when it caught fire and burned to the ground. A new school was constructed on the same property and opened in 1968. It served the community until 2027, when the new Circleville Elementary opened.


A third Circleville Ward Chapel was built on 100 South Center Street in 1936 with stone outer walls. This new chapel had features previous chapels did not have, a kitchen, baptismal font, restrooms, and big classrooms. The ward bishop was James L. Whittaker, with Johnny Buckler and Elwood Dalton as counselors.

In 1982, a new church was built in the southwest part of town. The new structure cost $1,300,000, with local members raising $160,000 and providing landscaping. The new chapel accommodated the Circleville  and  wards. Howard Horton was bishop of the  Ward with Greg Jorgensen and Burke Barlow as counselors.

bottom of page