top of page

9. Cemetery

In 1902, Joseph Simkins donated 4 acres of his land to the town for a cemetery.

Prior to this time, a small plot of ground on the east side of the river by the James Ruby home had been used as the cemetery. The land donated by Joseph Simkins is the cemetery used today. Later Ed & Fontella Simkins donated additional land connected to it for expansion and parking. During the late 1940's, Allie Gottfredson spearheaded the improvement of the cemetery. Grass was planted and a good fence was put in to surround the cemetery. A group of town men went to the Beaver Mountain and obtained trees & shrubs to plant around the fence and beautify the cemetery. A watering system was installed to pump water from the canal. Money was raised to hire Tex Grigsby who painstakingly nursed the cemetery to health. Tex was the sexton for many years and is fittingly buried at the top of the cemetery.

bottom of page